About . . .
The Surface Design Association is an international organization that celebrates fibre and textile art and artists.
Our Vision: To inspire creativity, encourage innovation and advocate for artistic excellence as the global leader in textile-inspired art and design.
Our Mission: To promote awareness and appreciation of textile-inspired art and design through member-supported benefits including publications, exhibitions and conferences.
To provide opportunities for learning, collaboration and meaningful affiliations
To mentor and support emerging artists, designers and students
To inform members about the latest developments and innovations in the field
To recognize the accomplishments of our members
To encourage critical dialogue about our field
To inspire new directions in fiber and textiles
To raise the visibility of textiles in the contemporary art world
Thinking About Joining SDA?
Please visit the Surface Design Association main website for information about joining the international organization, its programs and benefits – www.surfacedesign.org.
Once you belong the parent organization, you are immediately eligible for additional benefits in British Columbia:
- meetings in three geographic areas:
- Metro Vancouver
- Sunshine Coast
- Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands – visit VISDA’s website
- periodic email updates about exhibitions, workshops, events of interest to textile artists.
- this website features a gallery of members, an opportunity to raise your profile. Contact Thomas for more information.
- possibility of submission of work for juried exhibitions organized through our region are often limited to members (as some exhibition funding comes from SDA).